Hyperpigmentation of the skin can cause uneven color and dark patches. Excessive production of melanin is responsible for this condition. Hyperpigmentation can occur on almost any part of the body, including the face, neck, hands, arms and legs.
The root cause of excess melanin production is generally attributed to internal factors like hormonal changes in the body, pregnancy and various health problems. External factors like excessive sun exposure, skin injury, burning, emotional stress or contact with certain chemicals can also cause hyperpigmentation.
You can get rid of hyperpigmentation naturally with the help of some simple and easy home remedies.
Here are the top 5 ways to get rid of hyperpigmentation.
Lemon contains citric acid that helps bleach the skin, making it a popular home treatment for hyperpigmentation. This natural bleaching agent can effectively fade dark blemishes on your skin.
- Extract fresh lemon juice and rub it on the skin using a cotton ball. Leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Follow this remedy twice daily for a few months until you notice improvement.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a facial mask with equal amounts of lemon juice and raw honey. Mix the ingredients well and then apply it to the affected skin. Cover the skin with a warm towel for 15 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once a week for a few months.
Note: Those who have sensitive skin must dilute the lemon juice with a little water before using it.
2. RAW POTATO
Raw potato works very well to help lighten hyperpigmented skin as well as other spots and blemishes on the skin. Potatoes contain catecholase, an enzyme that is believed to help lighten skin tone.
- Peel a potato and cut it into thick slices. Put a few drops of water on the surface of a potato piece and then rub it on your skin for five to 10 minutes. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this three or four times a day for at least a month.
- Grate one medium-size potato and squeeze the juice out of it. Add an equal amount of lemon juice to it and mix well. Apply the solution on the pigmented area and leave it on for about 20 to 30 minutes before washing it off. Do this twice daily for a month.
3. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Apple cider vinegar is simply miraculous when it comes to reducing the appearance of dark patches on the skin due to hyperpigmentation. It has excellent skin lightening as well as astringent properties that can help restore your skin’s natural color.
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water. Use this solution to rinse the affected area. Leave it on for two to three minutes, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy twice a day for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to half a glass of warm water. Then mix in one teaspoon of honey. Drink this solution twice a day, morning and night, for a couple of weeks until you notice improvement.
4. VITAMIN E
Often referred to as the skin vitamin, vitamin E is an obvious treatment for skin hyperpigmentation. Being an antioxidant, vitamin E neutralizes the effect of harmful Uv rays of the sun and repairs and protects the skin.
- Puncture two or three vitamin E capsule and put the contents in a bowl. Add three or four drops of castor oil to it and mix well. Apply the mixture on the affected skin before going to bed. Rinse it off the next morning. Follow this remedy daily for two to three weeks.
- You can make a homemade mask with one-half cup of Fuller’s earth, one tablespoon of blended papaya and the contents of two vitamin E capsules. Mix the ingredients together to form a thick paste. Apply the mixture evenly on the affected area, leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this regularly, once a week.
- You can also massage vitamin E oil into the affected skin for 10 minutes twice daily to reduce hyperpigmentation. Follow this simple remedy for a few weeks until you get positive results.
Turmeric has bleaching properties that can help get rid of the symptoms of hyperpigmented skin. Plus, turmeric can keep the skin free of infection.
- Mix one teaspoon each of turmeric powder and lemon juice. Apply it on the affected area. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water. Avoid going out in the sun for an hour after following this treatment. Do this once daily before showering to maximize results.
- Alternatively, you can make a paste by mixing five tablespoons of turmeric powder with 10 tablespoons of milk. Apply this paste on the affected skin and gently massage for five minutes. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.