1. Save your burgundy-colored lipstick for the fall months or evening events.“A substantial color like this calls for substantial clothing. Textured, heavier fabrics in navy, deep greens, and even some reds are a perfect fit with burgundy, plum, or bordeaux shades. Summer colors tend to clash with these colors though, so avoid wearing it in the winter.
2. Know what shade will suit you best. “There are four undertones when talking about burgundy: pink, brown, blue, and red.
Here’s how to figure out which one will look best on you: If you’re light-eyed, pink-based burgundy colors will look amazing on you. The hue makes your eyes pop.
4. Apply your lipstick with a lip brush. The best way to put on burgundy lipstick is with a lip brush. “This dark of a shade can get messy quickly —even more so than red lip color — so you want to be sure you’re precisely putting it on. I swipe it on from the outer corner of the mouth to center on both the upper and lower lips, then I fill in the rest of the pout.”
5. Apply liner later. Once you’ve applied your lipstick with a lip brush, run your liner in a matching shade along the perimeter of your lips to give them a borderline. Burgundy lip pencils can be overwhelming and take the focus away from the actual lip color, so to avoid that, I always put the lipstick on first.
6. Skip the glossy finish. There’s nothing wrong with adding lip gloss over your usual lip color to make it standout more, but this shade doesn’t need any help in the attention-getting department “Plus, swiping on gloss can make your otherwise matte lipstick look messy, and make the color bleed onto your skin, which isn’t a good look. If you’re set on adding gloss into the mix though, apply it only to the center of your lips.